Andy Rinomhota ‘gutted’ after withdrawing from Zimbabwe’s AFCON squad due to family matter

0
110

By Zim Sport Live Writer

Zimbabwe Warriors midfielder Andy Rinomhota has expressed deep disappointment after being forced to withdraw from the Zimbabwe national team’s AFCON squad due to urgent personal family reasons.

The versatile midfielder confirmed his immediate withdrawal from the Warriors camp in a heartfelt statement shared on social media, just days before Zimbabwe’s Africa Cup of Nations (AFCON) campaign gets underway.

Rinomhota, who was named in Zimbabwe’s squad earlier this month, was expected to play a key role in the tournament, which runs from December 21 to January 18, depending on how far the Warriors progress.

However, the midfielder revealed that an unexpected family situation has left him unable to fully commit mentally to the demands of international football at this crucial time.

“I am deeply gutted to miss out on a tournament of this magnitude,” Rinomhota said.

“Representing Zimbabwe at the highest level has always been a source of pride, and while I was fully committed to this opportunity, the timing of this family matter means I am not in the right psychological space to give the team my very best.”

Rinomhota stressed that the decision was not taken lightly, adding that his focus must now be on supporting his family during this difficult period.

“This decision has not been taken lightly. I remain fully committed to the national team and look forward to returning to duty once the family matter has been resolved,” he added.

Despite his absence, the midfielder pledged his full support for the Warriors, wishing his teammates and the technical staff success at the continental showpiece.

“I will be supporting them wholeheartedly and praying that Zimbabwe goes all the way,” Rinomhota said, while also thanking the Zimbabwe Football Association (ZIFA) for their understanding and support.

The 27-year-old also appealed for privacy for himself and his family as they navigate the situation.

Rinomhota has been a regular figure in the Warriors setup, making 13 appearances since 2023, with his most recent outing coming in a 1-1 World Cup qualifier draw against Nigeria.

Zimbabwe have been drawn in Group B at AFCON, where they will face continental heavyweights Egypt, alongside South Africa and Angola. The Warriors open their campaign on Monday against Mohamed Salah’s Egypt, the tournament’s most successful nation with seven AFCON titles.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here