IOC moves closer to ban on transgender women

    0
    16

    By BBC

    The International Olympic Committee has moved a step closer to introducing a blanket ban on transgender women from female categories across all sports.

    IOC president Kirsty Coventry vowed to bring in the move as part of her election campaign.

    On Monday the Times reported that the ban was set to be announced as early as next year.

    The IOC told the BBC that “the working group is continuing its discussions on this topic and no decisions have been taken yet”.

    Despite the IOC statement, the likely outcome is that a ban will be introduced.

    Last week an update was presented by the organisation’s medical and scientific director to members as it works through the details of the potential move.

    Former swimmer Coventry – a seven-time Olympic medallist – told BBC Sport in June that the IOC must “play a leading role” in discussions in this area.

    At the time she revealed a working group on the issue made up of experts and international federations would “ensure that we find consensus”.

    LEAVE A REPLY

    Please enter your comment!
    Please enter your name here