By Zim Sport Live Writer
Former Zimbabwe women’s cricket team star Anesu Mushangwe is expected to spearheaded Adelaide Strikers’ bid for an unprecedented three-peat of the Women’s Big Bash League (WBBL) titles after signing a two year contract extension with the Australian franchise.
Mushangwe was a crucial part of last year’s triumph where she finished as the Strikers’ third-highest wicket taker with 16 behind fellow leg spinner Amanda-Jade Wellington (23) and Australia star bowler Megan Schutt (22).
Mushangwe’s remarkable rise from ‘accidental cricketer’ in Harare has made her a favourite among Strikers fans, and she is sure to figure prominently as the girls in blue chase an historic triple crown this season.
The fan favourite, who moved from South Australia to the ACT Meteors in state cricket this season, said she was delighted to be continuing on in blue.
“I’m so thrilled to sign a two-year deal with the Strikers and can’t wait to again play in front of our fantastic fans at Karen Rolton and Adelaide Ovals,” Mushangwe said.
“Being part of last year’s grand final over Brisbane Heat was without doubt the highlight of my playing career, and I have a very strong belief we have the squad capable of taking the title again.”
After making just one appearance in her debut season two years ago, Mushangwe played every game for the Strikers last summer.
The 28-year-old’s value was highlighted by her strike rate of a wicket every three overs last season.
She also returned an economy rate of just 6.47 runs per over which was only bettered by Strikers teammates Wellington (5.46), Schutt (6.25) and skipper Tahlia McGrath (6.30) among the competition’s top 10 wicket takers.
“Anesu performed a crucial role for us last summer and we’re delighted to have her back in the fold for WBBL|10,” dual title-winning Strikers coach Luke Williams said.
“Her ability to bowl with the great consistency and control at the start of the innings, during the Power Play and Power Surge, and also in the ‘death’ overs meant we could utilise her in attacking and defensive roles as game situations dictated.”
The Strikers start their championship defence in WBBL|10 with a blockbuster re-match of last season’s grand final against Brisbane Heat as part of a double-header at Adelaide Oval on October 27.
The Strikers then return to Adelaide Oval for a meeting with Hobart Hurricanes on November 16 as part of the WBBL’s Stadium Series, with home games also at Karen Rolton Oval against Melbourne Renegades (November 11) and Perth Scorchers (November 19) for the Aunty Faith Thomas Trophy in First Nations Round.




