Confident Scott Vincent relishing Open Championship links test as he backs LIV Golf’s future

0
24

By Daniel Nhakaniso

Zimbabwe’s Scott Vincent says he is relishing the challenge of returning to The Open Championship after a four-year absence, while insisting he remains confident LIV Golf will emerge stronger despite ongoing uncertainty surrounding the circuit’s future.

Vincent tees off at Royal Birkdale this week after qualifying through the Official World Golf Ranking’s International Federation Ranking List, marking his second appearance at golf’s oldest major following his debut at St Andrews in 2022.

The 34-year-old, who earned his place after another impressive campaign on the Asian Tour and LIV Golf, said he has enjoyed adapting to the unique demands of links golf.

“It’s feeling alright,” Vincent said ahead of Thursday’s opening round. “I think there’s a lot to figure out and a lot of other factors that come into play.

“I’ve just enjoyed trying to figure out how to play this course, trying a lot of different shots that you wouldn’t normally hit. I enjoy it. It’s a good challenge.

“The weather’s incredible. Who would have ever thought you’d play a British Open and expect to have sunshine every single day? It’s unique and it’s amazing. It’s really cool.”

Vincent arrives at Royal Birkdale in encouraging form, having recorded four top-10 finishes in his recent LIV Golf starts before turning his attention to The Open.

After the championship, he is expected to return to LIV competition when the circuit resumes in the United Kingdom.

His comments also come amid continued speculation over LIV Golf’s long-term future following reports that Saudi Arabia’s Public Investment Fund will end its current funding arrangement at the close of the season.

Despite the uncertainty, Vincent said he remains optimistic the breakaway league will continue beyond 2026.

“No, not at all,” he said when asked whether the uncertainty had been frustrating. “It’s changed my life. It’s changed my family’s life.

“There’s been so much good from it. It’s improved my golf. There are so many things to take away and be thankful for, and I think it’s going to work out just fine next year.

“The people that are in charge are doing everything they can, and I think it’s going to be perfectly fine. I think it’s going to work out.

“Long-term, this needed to happen. You need to figure out how to make this work, and that’s what they’re doing right now. I believe in the people who are doing it, so it’s a long way of saying let’s wait and see, but I think it’s going to be great.”

For Vincent, who has enjoyed one of the most successful careers by a Zimbabwean golfer on the international stage, the focus now shifts to making an impact at Royal Birkdale before resuming his LIV campaign later this month.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here